Canadian coffee roaster Club Coffee has been in business for more than 100 years, delivering mainstream and premium coffees for private label as well as its own brands.
SB: How does Club Coffee meet sustainability needs in the private label and co-manufacturing space?
SA: At Club Coffee, we believe in “Brewing the Good in Coffee” through sustainability and corporate responsibility and does so in various ways:
- Sustainable coffee is the future and Club Coffee supports our customers with best practices and innovative solutions across key trends;
- Club Coffee’s current CSR platform provides a focus around People, Process and Products — driven through customer relationships, our unique sustainable packaging process/systems and innovation such as the World’s First Compostable Coffee Pods and our new revolutionary recyclable, paper-based coffee packaging for whole bean and ground coffees;
- We have a 4-Pillar CSR plan that includes: Operational Footprint, People and Community, Responsible Sourcing and Product Packaging;
- We partner with various organizations that help us achieve our CSR goals, i.e. Bullfrog Power, Rainforest Alliance, Fair Trade, FSC, BPI, Pro-cert Organic and BRC AA (GFSI) certification;
- In 2020 we completed a rigorous third-party social and ethical compliance audit, required by key large brand partners like Amazon;
- All of our facilities participated and passed the SMETA 4-Pillar Audit as governed by Sedex and conducted by Bureau Veritas;
- Sedex — The Supplier Ethical Data Exchange is a not-for-profit, membership organization that leads work with buyers and suppliers to deliver improvements in responsible and ethical business practices in global supply chains;
- SMETA — (Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit) is the audit methodology created by the Sedex membership to give a central agreed audit protocol, which can be confidentially shared.
SB: What are some coffee flavors coming down the line from Club Coffee to keep an eye on?
SA: We have some exciting and scalable flavors and blends that consumers are already showing support for, beyond the traditional themes, and tapping into out-of-home inspirations, such as Coffee House Blend, Sugar Shack Maple, Creamy Caramel, Madagascar Vanilla, Increased premium high quality decafs, and some new flavors are top secret.