Petco Health and Wellness is backing up its pledge to build out an assortment of sustainable private brand and branded products by hosting a Sustainability Vendor Summit in September.
The retailer announced in April that it would be increasing its sustainable pet product assortment by 50% by the end of 2025, including private brand items.
Petco told Store Brands at the time: “We are actively partnering with our suppliers to meet this goal. While some of our Petco owned brands already offer pet accessories and apparel made with recycled materials, as well as items with reusable packaging, we’re holding our owned brands to an even higher standard and actively looking for ways to drive increased progress in the near and long-term future."
To help source eco-friendly product partners, Petco has teamed with ECRM and RangeMe for suppliers to apply online for a chance to pitch its sustainable products to a member of Petco’s merchandising team. The deadline to apply is Aug. 11.
Before applying, Petco is only looking for pet product producers or own brand suppliers that meet one of these five criteria:
- Responsible manufacturing — brands and products that use responsible manufacturing practices during production;
- Sustainably sourced materials — products made with materials like organic cotton or recycled nylon;
- Sustainably sourced ingredients — food and treats made with ingredients that are more environmentally friendly or emit fewer greenhouse gases;
- Responsible packaging — packaging designed to be refilled with the same type of product or for multiple uses;
- Animal welfare — ensure animals are treated humanely and products meet Petco's cruelty-free standard.
“We look forward to hosting vendors that share our commitment to preserving the health and wellness of pets, people and the planet we share," said Petco Chief Merchandising Officer Nick Konat. "As a health and wellness company, we're acutely aware of our collective impact on our planet's natural resources, and committed to actively driving positive change within our business and industry. Petco's Sustainability Vendor Summit will help us accelerate efforts to increase our assortment of sustainable products in close partnership with brands and manufacturers who are also passionate about improving lives."
To help customers easily identify and shop for more sustainable pet products, the retailer introduced a sustainable shopping destination online at petco.com/sustainability. The San Diego-based chain operates more than 1,500 locations across the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico.