Two golds, four silvers and five bronze medals, Lidl US racked up the honors at the 2021 New York International Beer Competition for its line of exclusive beers.
Private brand beer as a whole has been struggling to grow, yet Lidl’s line of lagers, German-style pilsners and more look to be a strong differentiator for the discount chain. It also won for its private brand beer in last year’s USA Beer Ratings and the 2018 New York International Beer Competition, and the chain was named one of the fastest growing retailers, per the National Retail Federation.
The New York International Beer Competition took place for the 10th time, and trade buyers judged remotely, tasting more than 800 submissions across more than 14 countries and in more than 30 categories of beer.
Lidl won on behalf of its Perlenbacher brand being named German Pilsner Brewery of the Year, and also won 11 medals for its individual beers. The winners are:
- Van Danken European Lager — a gold winner in the international-style lager category;
- Trailgazer Session Ale — a gold medalist in the Saranac pale ale category;
- Perlenbacher Imperial Premium — silver in the German-style pilsner category;
- Perlenbacher Hefeweizen — silver among German-style pilsners;
- Atomic Tart Raspberry Sour Ale — silver in the American-style sour ale category;
- Craft Explorers Blue Ridge Lager — silver among American-style lagers;
- Galereux Lager — a bronze finisher in the European-style low alcohol lager category;
- La Blonde de Ch’Nord French — bronze in the French-style saison category;
- Bronzen Schild Belgian Tripel — bronze in the Belgian-style tripel category;
- Perlenbacher premium pilsner — bronze for German-style pilsners; and
- Craft Explorers Hop Blast IPA — a bronze winner in the other strong beer category.
Lidl’s beers are priced at less than $8 a pack.
“We are thrilled to have been recognized again by New York International Beer Competition for our beer assortment,” said Stefan Schwarz, executive vice president of purchasing for Lidl US. “Lidl is focused on providing high quality domestic and international beer offerings at unbelievably low prices and we are honored to see our assortment recognized again by wins as the top performing grocer in the New York International Beer Competition."