Store brand canned tuna dominates Greenpeace sustainability list
Greenpeace USA’s “2017 Tuna Shopping Guide” ranks national and private brands of canned tuna on the environmental policies and practices of the brands’ manufacturers and, in the case of store brands, retailers. This year, private brands constitute 14 of the 20 highest-ranked varieties of responsibly sourced tuna.
Greenpeace scored the companies on their sustainability policy; health of tuna stocks; traceability; fishing methods used; product labeling and consumer education; support for marine reserves and promoting industry change; commitment to ethical labor practices throughout the supply chain; and the avoidance of illegal, unreported or unregulated products.
The following list includes the store brand tuna SKUs commended by Greenpeace and their sustainability ranking:
- Whole Foods Market’s 365 Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water (no salt added) — #3.
- HyVee Select Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water (no additives) — #5.
- Wegmans Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water — #6.
- Giant Eagle Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #7.
- Albertsons’ Open Nature Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water — #8.
- Aldi’s Northern Catch Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #9.
- Ahold Delhaize’s Food Lion Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #10.
- Kroger Wild Caught Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #11.
- Target’s Market Pantry Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #12.
- Costco’s Kirkland Signature Albacore Solid White Tuna in Water — #13.
- Supervalu’s Wild Harvest Pole & Line Caught Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water — #14.
- Trader Joe’s Pole & Line Caught Chunk Light Skipjack Tuna in Water with Sea Salt — #16.
- Walmart’s Great Value Premium Wild Caught Chunk Light Tuna in Water — #18.
- H-E-B Albacore Tuna in Water — #19.
To learn more about how Greenpeace scored each brand, visit http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/oceans/tuna-guide and click on the pictures of the canned tuna.