Kombucha drinks — and the many flavor combinations retailers expect to play with — should be a huge product trend in 2021. Store Brands has an in-depth report on flavor trends lined up for the soon-to-be-released February edition, where such retailers as ShopRite and Natural Grocers talked up kombucha. Publix has joined the party, launching a line of Greenwise kombucha drinks.
For kombucha, a fermented product that helps gut health and digestive wellness, Publix rolled out a line under its Greenwise organic brand, debuting in flavors such as peach, berry blend, pineapple spirulina, honeycrisp apple, and carrot ginger turmeric. The beverages contain live probiotic cultures and a trace amount of alcohol due to natural fermentation (less than 0.5%).
In ice cream, just last spring, Publix introduced a range of limited-edition ice cream flavors from Boston Creme Donut to Black Swamp Raspberry Cheesecake. Clearly, the products were a hit, as the Florida retailer is launching even more exclusive flavors this month that will run through May. The decadent flavors include:
- Hula Hula Macadamia — a whipped ice cream with ribbons of caramel and macadamia brittle;
- Peanut Butter Pie — a peanut butter cheesecake-flavored ice cream with swirls of Mackinac peanut butter cookie ribbons and chocolate flavored pieces;
- Irish Crème Salted Caramel — Irish crème-flavored ice cream with a rich caramel sea salt swirl and caramel truffles;
- Strawberry Shortcake — a butter-crème flavored ice cream with strawberry sauce and chunks of shortcake;
- Chocolate Cookie Quarry — rich chocolate ice cream with cookie crumbs and sandwich cookie pieces;
- White Chocolate Raspberry — white chocolate ice cream with raspberry sauce, and white chocolate and raspberry swirled chips;
- Lemon Berry Bliss — Lemon crème flavored ice cream with lemonade-flavored flakes and blueberry swirl; and
- New Orleans Caramel Praline — brown sugar ice cream with swirls of caramel and praline pecans.