Charcuterie boards have become one of the most trendy food items in the last year, allowing for customizations and fun combinations for guest settings. Grocery chain Aldi and its Aldi Charcuterie Board of Directors has released a trend report of charcuterie board items that will be hot in 2022, along with recapping 2021’s trends.
“2021 is quickly coming to a close, which means food trend predictions for 2022 are upon us,” said Aldi. “It’s no secret that charcuterie boards continue to trend as online searches about charcuterie are up nearly 300% in the past 12 months! New and creative charcuterie boards have been extremely popular this year and we predict this will continue to grow throughout 2022.”
In the recent 2021-2022 Consumer Holiday report from Catalina, respondents who said they planned on purchasing more food this holiday season than last noted that meats, cheeses and fruits (charcuterie board staples) were at the top of the list.
According to the seven food and wine experts that make up the board, 2021 charcuterie board trends included breakfast, sweet, single-serve, ‘fruit forward,’ fiesta themes and ‘grazing tables.’ 2022 trends include:
· All Eyes on Fries: Fries of all kinds – shoestring waffles, steakhouse, tater tots and veggie fries.
· Melted Cheese Boards: Cheese in fondue pots, ramekins of mini grilled cheese sandwiches.
· Wellness Boards: More vegan, dairy-free, plant based and gluten-free boards to take health focused eating to another level.
· Kid-Friendly Boards: An assortment of fruits and vegetables in fun shapes and patterns, deli meat roll-ups and mini sandwiches.
· Reimagined Salad Bars: Veggie-loaded boards will serve as salad bowls.
· Pickle Platters: A variety of pickled veggies and fruits.