Created by FMI, National Family Meals Month is an industry-inspired movement to raise consumer awareness of the health and benefits of sharing frequent family meals. It also coincides with Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs Sept. 15 - Oct. 15. It begins in the middle of the month to commemorate the independence of many Latin American countries including Costa Rica, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico and Nicaragua.
“While it’s often difficult for families to find time to sit down and enjoy a meal together due to busy schedules, studies have shown having quality time as a family benefits all family members, especially children,” said the company. “The past couple of years has changed professional and personal lives, with many struggling to find a balance between work and family. That’s why Hy-Vee is committed to bringing families together around the dinner table by making mealtime even easier.”
Throughout September, Hy-Vee will plan special events to engage with customers, including the following:
• New this year is a free cookbook called “Healthier Made Easier,” developed by Hy-Vee dietitians offering many favorite recipes that are kid-friendly and dietitian approved. From breakfast and snacks, to appetizers, entrée dishes and desserts, Hy-Vee dietitians provide tips and instructions for easy nutritious meals.
• Kids can eat free with each purchase of an adult entrée every day in September at all Hy-Vee food service departments and Hy-Vee Market Grille locations, as well as all Wahlburgers at Hy-Vee and Hy-Vee-owned Wahlburgers locations.
• Daily recipes, weekly meal ideas and grab-and-go dinner options will be offered on Hy-Vee’s social media platforms to make mealtime easier.
• Hy-Vee KidsFit social media platforms will share videos and resources to encourage kids and parents to stay active and make healthy choices together. For more information, click here.
• Live cooking demonstrations featuring Hy-Vee chefs, dietitians and special guests will take place throughout the month on the Hy-Vee Facebook page. Viewers can participate in the Q&A session and enter for the chance to win prizes.
• Family-friendly freezer meal virtual classes led by Hy-Vee dietitians will guide participants through five days of meals to feed their family and offer customers tips and information on how they can shop and prepare food quickly and on a budget. Option for gluten free, dairy free and classes in Spanish available. Go to the Hy-Vee dietitian website to register and use promo code FAMILYMEALS2022.
• Begin 4 Families virtual program teaches participants on ways to create a positive, balanced, and healthy lifestyle for the whole family! This four-week virtual program provides virtual one-on-one appointments with a Hy-Vee dietitian. Spanish sessions are available. Go to the Hy-Vee dietitian website to register and use promo code BEGIN4FAM2022.
• Digital family cooking guides containing budget friendly and multicultural-themed recipes to inspire families to try new cuisines while also supporting various dietary needs and lifestyles. These resources are available here.
Hy-Vee is an employee-owned corporation and operates more than 285 retail stores across eighth Midwestern states.