San Antonio-based H-E-B is furthering its expansion into West Texas and will open its first store in Lubbock next year.
The more than 120,000-square-foot store will open in late 2020. Some distinctive features include a fuel station with car wash, a Texas Tech collegiate shop and a True Texas BBQ, the company’s barbecue restaurant.
According to the company, it has tailored the store’s design to reflect the look, feel and traditions unique to Lubbock, emphasizing the hometown West Texas flair. Designed in-house, several H-E-B employees working on the project, including the lead manager of design, are Texas Tech University graduates. With construction set to begin early next year, the store will be built with environmental sustainability in mind, incorporating several energy-efficient inclusions such as CO2 refrigeration units and LED lighting.
“The wait for Lubbock residents is finally over. We’re extremely excited to announce that H-E-B is coming to the Hub City,” said Scott McClelland, president of H-E-B food and drug. “Our locations across West Texas continue to thrive, and the Lubbock store will allow us to answer the long-standing call for an H-E-B in this community.”
Additional, store highlights include:
- Meal Simple department with fresh, convenient chef-inspired meals prepared in-store.
- Seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, and steamers for steamed seafood upon request and grab-and-go options.
- Deli department with expanded cheese selection.
- Cooking Connection with live demonstrations and samplings for easy recipes to make at home.
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and a tortilla machine.
- Healthy Living department with bulk food items, sports nutrition products and supplements.
- H-E-B Curbside, which allows customers to place orders online for pickup at the store.