Giant Food launches fresh meal kits
Giant Food LLC, a banner of Carlisle, Pa.-based Ahold USA, said it launched a private label fresh meal kit program at its Camp Hill and Hampden Township stores. Available in the deli and prepared foods departments, each kit features pre-measured fresh ingredients to make two servings of the selected meal, as well as step-by-step instructions.
“Our customers are busy, and these new fresh meal kits are another innovative way we are helping them to save time and eat well by getting a delicious and convenient home-cooked meal on the table,” said Erik Keptner, senior vice president of sales, merchandising and marketing, Giant Food. “We include only the freshest meat and produce, all pre-measured, at a cost [that's] less than if you were to buy all of the ingredients yourself.”
The fresh meal kits, which will vary by season, can be prepared in 35 minutes or less. The retailer said varieties currently include:
- Pan-seared chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce, garlic roasted green beans and seasoned wild rice
- Baked chicken parmesan with rosemary Yukon gold potato wedges and fresh ratatouille
- Mini Italian-style meatloaf with couscous and fresh vegetables
- Peppercorn steak with creamy blue cheese sauce, chive mashed potatoes and garlic roasted broccoli and cauliflower
- Pan-seared boneless pork chops with apple and honey mustard sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
The cost for one kit, which serves two people, is $14.99, while two kits serve four people and cost $24.99. In addition to being available at the Camp Hill and Hampden Township stores, Peapod customers in the Harrisburg, Pa., and Jersey City, N.J., areas may also order the kits for delivery. The fresh meal kits will debut in an additional 10 Giant Food stores in the greater Philadelphia area in late January 2016, the retailer stated.